News

First ever Indigenous Engineers Scholarship recipient on a pathway to a Geomatics career

Engineering pathway student Adam Pyke admitted that he was very excited when he found out he was the inaugural recipient of the Indigenous Engineers: Engineering Pathway Scholarship at The University of Melbourne.

“I’ll be honest, I was jumping up and down. It was rewarding me for what I wanted to do.”

This year, Adam begins his Bachelor of Science degree, majoring in Geomatics, with a plan to continue into the Master of Engineering (Geomatics).

The University of Melbourne is offering the new scholarship thanks to funding support from the Commonwealth Department of Education, formerly the Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education. The scholarship is intended to support an Indigenous Bachelor of Science student undertaking pathway subjects to graduate engineering.

The scholarship is valued at $75,000 over three years and comprises a $10,000 per annum living allowance and $15,000 per annum fee remission.

Adam said the scholarship offered a great incentive in reducing financial pressures and enabling him to focus on his studies.

“It certainly takes a big burden off in terms of my HECS debt. The scholarship is going to be a massive help, especially later on down the track.”
Adam said he was always interested in Maths and Science, particularly Physics, throughout his schooling at Highvale Secondary College and later Wesley College where he transferred on a scholarship.

“I was interested in design and architecture originally. I always liked building things. I had a massive Thomas the Tank Engine train set as a kid that I used to build. I would spend hours and hours watching documentaries about construction.”
Adam said he started considering his career options when he was 14 and 15.

“Given my skills with mapping, and through talking to curriculum advisors, Geomatics kept coming to the surface and I thought, that’s what I want to do.”

Adam said he was particularly encouraged by the fact that Geomatics graduates are in high demand, with a wealth of career opportunities in the field.

Adam also competes nationally as a middle distance athlete, and is aiming for the World Junior Championships later in the year.

“It’s going to be a bit of a challenge to balance it at first but once I get into the rhythm of study, I’ll be ok.”

For further information about undergraduate scholarships available for Engineering students, visit the scholarships page of The Melbourne School of Engineering’s website.

Tags: , , , , ,