News / Student Blog

Student guest post: A summer internship at Frazer-Nash Consultancy

Student Ambassador and Master of Engineering (Electrical) student Zhiyuan Li completed a summer internship at a leading international engineering consultancy. In this blog post, Zhiyuan shares some of his experiences working in a professional environment as an intern.

Gaining some industry experience before graduating can be both an excellent insight into some of the career pathways as well as a valuable and exciting way to spend the holidays in a meaningful way. During the summer of 2014/2015, I was fortunate enough to have been offered an internship at Frazer-Nash Consultancy in their Adelaide office.

I was able to secure this valuable opportunity thanks to the excellent careers online jobs board provided by University of Melbourne. During a casual sweep of the jobs board mid last year, I noticed a new advertisement from Frazer-Nash Consultancy. From the job description provided on the advertisement and the case studies presented on the Frazer-Nash website, I found the type of work being completed at Frazer-Nash Consultancy to be diverse and interesting, thus I naturally applied straight away!

From day one, working in a professional environment was vastly different to all of my previous jobs. I was given real projects to work on which really challenged my technical and business skills. And it was indeed a challenge. During my internship, I was exposed to a range of projects in different sectors, including oil and gas, renewable energy, defence and rail, along with various real world project management tasks. Prior to my internship, I had limited knowledge in many of these sectors, and it was certainly a very steep learning curve. However with the steep learning curve comes the sweet satisfaction of knowing I’ve achieved something incredible after I completed each project task.

Visiting the local shopping centre during lunch break on a business day

Since it’s the first time I have worked in this professional environment, I was astounded at how pleasant it was, unlike my previous jobs in hospitality, retail and other services. The culture at the office was extremely relaxed and enjoyable, everyone was friendly and ready to assist when the need arose. Jokes were regularly cracked in the office which really further helped to inspire an excellent working environment.

My internship at the Adelaide office also allowed me to visit some of the excellent tourist destinations around Adelaide whilst I was not working. I happily toured the State Art Gallery, Mount Lofty and the famous Cleland Wildlife Park.

Visiting Cleland Wildlife Park

Visiting Cleland Wildlife Park

Near the end of my internship I had the opportunity to attend the 2015 Avalon Airshow industrial trade show as one of the trade visitors. During this valuable opportunity I was not only exposed to a range of events and demonstrations closed to public, but I was also able to meet some very high ranking members of the military and government, I even had the opportunity to shake hands with South Australia’s Minister of Defence Industries!

Standing in front of a F22 at 2015 Avalon Airshow

My internship soon finished after the Airshow, and I am now back doing my final years of the Master of Engineering. All in all, the experience of working at an engineering consultancy was certainly a summer well spent and has been invaluable for my professional development. It is clear that Frazer-Nash understands the value of its employees and is willing to support your career development and provide the opportunities that empower you to meet your career goals. Now I am really motivated and excited about the future ahead of me after I graduate.

Visit Careers Online to find out more about internships and student opportunities. 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,